Friday, February 11, 2005

Nails of nastiness

OK, so about a week and half ago I decided that it was time for the acrylics to come off. For one, I could see them starting to yellow, I guess because of lack of oxygen? But my real nails were also starting to seperate from them...in the front. Things were perpetually getting caught between the two layers of nail. Ew and ow.

First of all, removing them hurt!!! My hands were soaked in acetone for maybe 5 minutes on a generous timer, then Crazy Lady comes over and starts chipping away at the layer of acrylic. I was beyond grossed out when she started to use broken pieces of the acrylic AND HER OWN FINGERNAILS (!) to start prying the fakes off. I guess I complained a little too much, cuz she put my hands back in the bowl for a good 20 minutes and...left me there.

I sat in the nail salon, stinking like petroleum while she and her hubby worked on other people. They had time to do a full set while I soaked. Finally, her hubby came over, who I like much better because he smiles and is in general a much gentler nail technician. He wiped my hands with a clean soft cloth and started removing them, but this time he used the electric filer that was hanging there the whole time. Pain free, and no shards of acrylic flying off to pierce my eyeball.

But when he was done, I wanted to cry. My nails are so ugly! They are paper thin, and they have huge ridges where they had buffed down the nail to set the acrylic. Even still, they are bendy and weak, and breaking every which way. I've been taking great pains to coat them in nail strengthener and paint them so they look nice, but there is just no way to dress these suckers up. You can see the ridges through the paint, and as the nail breaks the polish chips.

What have I done to myself? Get me back to the salon, pronto!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah said...

ugh! I remember when I had my acrylic nails removed and it was awful. However, I have heard that your nails compensate for the thin parts by growing in extra thick, so you can look forward to that!

February 21, 2005 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Belle said...

That happened to me too! I was amazed by how much damage was done to my nails. They do recover, I promise. I used something called Nailene Protein everyday to help them recover.

March 4, 2005 at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home